While I was snapping the last of these photos on the pavilion, a little girl peeked around the corner and exclaimed "Look Grandma, a beautiful princess!" Eeeeeeeeeee! Day = Made. And that is exactly how I feel in my flowing watercolor print maxi dress - like a graceful, elven princess. I have actually had this dress almost a month - I made it to wear on my birthday in early October, but it's been so cold since I wasn't able to take pictures until today. I knew I wanted to make another Anna dress for my birthday, and when I found this amazing fabric, it was a match made in sewing heaven.




I really wanted the photos to capture the movement of this dress - the flow and swish of this fabric is just amazing, especially with the voluminous six panel skirt! The color is gorgeous - the print is like a watercolor painting of pinks and olive greens on a gray/taupe background, with a brushstroke foil accent of gold and black. It is sheer, which meant a clean finish on the inside and a slip to go underneath.





Here are the details:

Pattern: By Hand London Anna Dress - Maxi Version, Slash Neck

Size: US 6 (bust)

My Shape: Tall (5'11"), pear shape, narrow shoulders, long torso

Fabric: Simply Silky Prints-Blurred Floral Pink & Olive Foiled (Polyester) - Joann Fabrics

Size Alterations:

- Graded out to size 10 at the waistline
- From waist, graded skirt panels out to the largest size for an extra voluminous skirt
- Lowered slash neckline slightly

Design Changes:

- Added button and loop closure at back center neckline above zipper

Construction Notes:

- With this sheer fabric, I serged, then turned and top-stitched a narrow hem for the neckline and sleeve
- The skirt panels are all finished with a serged edge - at first they somewhat curved in towards the hem - I fixed this by clipping the seam allowance every few inches on each seam and then steaming - the skirt panels seams quickly flattened out.


To go under the dress, I made a slip with olive silky lining fabric. I used the McCall's 6696 bias cut slip pattern. It was definitely put together in a hurry, so nothing fancy to look at, but it is perfect under this dress.


The necklace was a birthday present to myself from Stephanie's Etsy shop, Native Clutter. She has some gorgeous jewelry! She sent it right away so it would arrive on my birthday so I could wear it with my dress! Amazing customer service, and perfect timing :)


The Verdict: THIS IS MY MOST FAVORITE DRESS! I feel like a beautiful elvish princess when I wear it! I cannot wait to wear it again, and I can definitely see more Anna dresses in the future. If you haven't tried this pattern yet, I highly recommend it - there are even detailed sewalong posts for help along the way. So, what is your most favorite dress you've made??? :)