Helloooooo sewing friends! Meet the Yellow Bridges Dress. It is a mashup of the Emery bodice and Simplicity 1419 skirt. I started sewing this dress in September... or August. So long ago it has faded from memory... I blame the abominable state of the sewing room for sucking all my sew-jo away. I haven't sewn anything for months! Thank goodness for Christmas Break. And family that is willing to travel to you. Which forces you to clean the sewing room. And now it looks pretty, you want to sit and stay awhile. Oh, this old thing? Unfinished dress. Let's see... Zip / Press / Hem - done! That wasn't too bad, was it? :)




Pattern: Emery Dress (bodice) and Simplicity 1419 (skirt)


Fit / Alterations:

Bodice: Spent an afternoon working out the bodice fit with Ashley of Craft Sanctuary - you can see a few of her finished Emery's herehere, and here (which I tried on of course - why can't we always have finished garments in the exact size we need to try on before cutting in to our fabric?)

- Cut size 4 bodice (what?!) - my measurements put me at an 8, but we wanted a more fitted look. 
- Changed darts to hit at the size 8 apex, but placed where the size 4 was. 
- Vertical bodice/waist darts are curved
- Some roominess across the top (I am short from bust to shoulder), but everywhere else fits like a dream!
- I am sure there are other changes, but I have two different traced pattern pieces with scribbly notes and it was so long ago that I started this, I can't remember exactly what I did - ugh. Guess I will just have to make it again to be sure ;)

Skirt: Decided I wanted a pleated skirt to match the sharp lines of the bridges

- Cut a size 12 and adjusted pleats to match skirt to waistline of bodice



Fabric: Michael Miller Waterfront Park Bridgetown in Starfruit (Yellow) - also available in more colors!

Purchased at Bungalow Quilting and Yarn, an adorable shop outside Milwaukee, WI. In addition to a fabulous fabric collection, they have a bathtub of yarn. And the bathroom is wallpapered with old pattern pieces. 


Verdict: I didn't believe it until I zipped the finished dress up - it actually fit! And well! If you look at the product photos of the Emery, the fit is much looser. Thanks to Ashley, this one fits more like a glove ;)
The fabric is cotton, so a dream to sew. And this yellow color is so fun - I cannot wait to wear it to school!

Also, let's hope the newly revived sewing room will be inspiring for more sewing projects in the near future. I am focused on working through my existing stash. No new fabric. No new patterns. In fact, after my big sewing room clean and purge, I may need to get rid of some fabrics and patterns soon. Winter sewing destash, anyone?  

Hope you had a fantastic 2015, and here's to a New Year full of good things! Thanks for reading!  ❤ Sally