Sewing this wool coat was quite the saga! I am just proud that I finished it and didn't burn it in the backyard. I was hoping for a long cozy wool wrap coat. While it is luxuriously soft and cozy, the wrap part looked more like a bathrobe than a coat. Thankfully, worn open it still maintains it's warmth and looks chic, or so my mom told me when I threatened to throw it in the dumpster. I have to say now that I agree :) 





Here are some details: 

Fabric: Melton Wool blend coating from Joann Fabrics in gray and/or lavender/lilac
Kasha Satin Lining from Vogue Fabrics (fit pieces on large remnants and saved $)


Pattern: Vintage Simplicity 5104 Wool Coat, View A w/out tie
Mods: Graded out slightly at hips for more room, added 1" length to sleeves


Notes: 
- Used iron on interfacing instead of sew-in
- Referenced Vogue's New Book for Better Sewing for clarification on older terms I did not know - so fun and educational!
- The instructions for sewing a full wool coat with lining were only one page!


WARNING! Do NOT use Frixon eraseable pens for marking - accidentally marked right side and it did NOT iron out (of course, all the markings on the wrong side did... ugh). I had to re-draft/stitch collar and facing to hide the mark. Thankful it didn't happen in a more obvious place.


With belt = Bathrobe



Final thoughts: While the coat is super warm and wearable, there is still an issue with the sleeves. They ripple along the seam lines, even though I trimmed, graded, clipped and pressed all the inner seams. Not sure what it causing it, but I think it may have something to do with the lining. Considering most of the time I'll have my hands in my pockets, I'm not too worried, but any helpful advice is welcome! :)