Fabric: Charcoal Gray Ponte Roma Knit - Joann Fabrics
Well folks, I've finally jumped on the peplum band wagon, and I'm thinking I should have earlier! I love how this top turned out, and how it fits on my pear shape-ness :) I think the key is that it hits right at the natural waist, instead of added fullness on the hips. It's really quite flattering, even after many many cookies (this theory has been tested with science).
For this top I used McCall's pattern 6754 - View A. It also includes a raglan sleeve peplum top with a pieced bodice that looks awesome in a striped fabric. Did I mention they can both be made into dresses? :)
I cut a straight size Medium, according to my measurements and the fact that the pattern was intended for knits but it was definitely TOO BIG. What should have been a fairly quick sew ended up taking 4-5 hours to complete. I still see some issues, but it's good enough for me - next time I'll be sure to go with the small.
Other alterations include:
* Raised neckline by a couple inches - the original is quite low
* Added a few inches length to peplum skirt
* Reduced fullness in peplum skirt
* Attempted a double line of topstitching along the neckline and armhole instead of a narrow hem
|Double topstitching at neckline (it doesn't all look this even ;)|
|The only good sleeveless shot - it was surprisingly cold!|
|Back view - I think the wrinkles along the side are from taking in so much from the side seams, |
but still having too-big armholes... wah-wah.
|Sometimes I think this blog is too serious.|