When I found this extremely warm and soft plaid wool in the red tag section of Joann's and knew it was destined to be a skirt! I actually completed it for Veteran's Day (Nov 11) so I could have something red, white, and blue to wear for our school concert. However, I ended up wearing my long coat for our entire concert because it was OUTSIDE IN A BLIZZARD! That's right, my awesome students sang outside for a Veterans Day concert in a blizzard - they are troopers. I still can't feel my fingers.... jk.
Here are the details:
Pattern: Gertie's Book for Better Sewing - Pencil Skirt
Size: 8 (waist) graded to 10 (hips)
* I was shocked to see there was only one size difference between my normal waist and hip measurement for Gertie's size chart - that makes things oh so much easier :)
My Shape: Tall (6'0), pear shape, narrow shoulders, long torso
Fabric: Plaid Wool, Navy/White/Red - Joann Fabrics
- Took in a little more at the waist, in addition to grading
- Left off the waistband - serged, turned, and topstitched waist edge
- Added large BOW to the front (attached with safety pins, in case a non-bow skirt is needed ;)
- Removed several inches (at least 6) from the hem - this skirt is definitely drafted to be calf length!
- Stitched then serged all seams
- This fabric was very easy to sew with, and hides many mistakes, but the only thing I could use to mark darts, etc that would show up was a metallic silver sharpie! Probably not the best... lol