Those raindrops are falling on my head, they keep falling...


This could be my quarantine theme song... not only have I been feeling blue, but it has been raining SO MUCH (see flooded river in background). With all this time spent at home, I have realized how therapeutic sewing can be. Taking my mind off the chaos to focus on making this dress: puzzling pattern pieces to fit the fabric, adding special design details, stitching all the pleats twice (whoops), so much unexpected hand sewing, rationing thread, and waiting a month for the perfect buttons to arrive... sounds stressful but it gave me something to do, and to create. I took my time to make a dress I will cherish long after this is over. These fabric people with their umbrellas will always remind me that no matter how bad the storm, just keep walking and soon you'll find the rainbow :)



Fabric: Raindrop by Rashida Coleman-Hale for Cotton + Steel - Rainwalk in Spearmint

I don't remember where I got this fabric, but I know it has always been destined for a shirt dress! Love this print and the colors! I like subtle quirky prints, especially paired with subdued colors, like this green. The selvage edge is so happy, I had to find a way to include it in the dress! I added it as a feature on the inside back yoke and inside one of the pockets at the side seam. The "Handmade" rainbow label is by Kylie & the Machine.




Pattern: Finally made "THE" shirt dress pattern - McCall's 6696 - it absolutely lived up to the hype! The fit is perfection, thanks to the different cup size bodice options.

I had to adjust the pattern to fit on my yardage, so I folded out some of the fullness in both skirt pieces, as well as the fullness in the back bodice piece. I also did not add length, which I would normally do.

One thing I was not expecting is all the hand sewing!! The waistband, both front button plackets, and the collar all require hand stitching to finish the inside. I usually despise hand-sewing and go out of my way to avoid it, but I was in thread-saving crisis mode and knew I wouldn't be able to top stitch all those seams without running out of thread. I made a cup of tea, found something British to watch, and got to sewing... after a few of these sessions, I finished! I can actually see how I've improved my hand-stitching, and maybe grown to like it just a teensy bit? :)




But there's one thing I know
The blues they send to meet me
Won't defeat me, it won't be long
Till happiness steps up to greet me

(Song lyrics by Hal David and Burt Bacharach)

❤ Sally