A button down midi skirt has been on my make list for a long time! The length, the buttons, the pockets - it's quintessential teacher garb. I started making this skirt after we moved into our new house last summer. It was my first make in my new sewing space! At least, the first one I started - lol. Halfway through I got stuck and lost the sew-jo for this project and it sat in the UFO pile for a year. Now it's finally done, and I feel... just okay about it! Ha :)


The Pattern: Style Arc's Bonnie Skirt

Cut a straight size 10, with finished measurements: waist 28" / hip 53" / length 29"

My measurements: 28" waist / 42" hip / 5'11" tall

My main dilemma with this skirt was the length. Since I am tall, and had a little extra fabric, I added extra length but it ended up way too long. There was a lot of blue skirt happening.

Original length:


I ended up cutting off the length I had added, and then some, so it hit just below the knee (finished length - 27 1/2") and still debated if it was too "sister-wife" or not - lol. After pinning it shorter (above the knee) I decided to keep the mid length since my original goal was a midi skirt that would be comfortable to wear and move around in at school. Clearly I made the right decision, as it was so comfortable I kept wearing it while sewing on the last few buttons - lolol

Midi length vs shorter length:


I had issues with the instructions for constructing the waistband. Halfway through sewing it, I got very confused about how it was supposed to be finished - it's partially turned under and partially not?? No thanks. The waistband dilemma is what prompted it getting put in the UFO pile. On the second attempt, I ripped the whole waistband apart and started over so it would have a clean finish inside, which I like much better! I don't understand why it wasn't like this originally


The fabric has been in my stash for a long time, and I think it's some sort of chambray / cotton blend. This skirt also has three different thread colors (white, gray, and blue) since I kept running out and/or not caring. The tortoise shell buttons are from Joann's and the amazing label is from Inside Voices labels.


This skirt is super comfortable! I like the length and buttons. I don't love the side seam pockets - in this fabric especially, they always feel bulky. Next time, I'd like a good slash pocket instead :) I'm hoping this skirt will still get a ton of wear, especially transitioning to fall weather! 

tl;dr added length b/c I'm tall, then chopped it off again / re-did waistband b/c construction instructions are bad / no side seam pockets next time

❤ Sally