SEWN September 2022 - this top has everything... the ruffles... the puff sleeves... the drawstring sweetheart neckline... the peplum skirt... throw in a butterfly print and you have the cutesiest, girliest top I've ever made! And I love it! This pattern was one of those rare love/buy at first sight purchases. It has so many special design details, which makes it fun to sew and wear :)

Pattern: Daria Patternmaking Seashell Summer Dress (link here) shortened to a top

Fit / Sizing: cut a size 6 (35.4" bust)

Added 3/4" length above bust and another 1" at the bust 

* This is a new fit technique I am working out. Discovered that I can add vertical length wherever I want (not just at the L/S lines) and now I know I need almost 2 extra inches from shoulder to bust (compared to standard measurements). It helps with fit and also looks more proportional on my taller 5'11" frame.


Took in the back piece by about 1" at center back seam

Also omitted the zipper in the back since I can pull it over my head, and for some reason I hate having zippers in tops. It just seems wrong - lol.

* After wearing the first time, I unpicked and shortened the elastic in the sleeves (over the shoulder) b/c the sleeves kept slipping off my shoulder. No issues since, and really easy to adjust after the fact if needed! 


Fabric: Rifle Paper Co Cotton Lawn in Monarch on Cream

Beautiful happy print - love the flecks of metallic gold! It's the first time I've made something with Rifle's cotton lawn and I really hope they do more designs in this fabric in the future - it's perfect for warm weather tops and dresses! 

I've made a bag with this print before and loved it so much I wanted something else to wear in the same design. I didn't realize until later that I also had a pair of socks that match almost exactly and now I must always wear them together ;) 


♥ Sally