Saturday, February 11, 2012

Silky Top Experiment

This is my first attempt at creating a garment using a silky fabric (acquired in the remnant section at Joann's for no more than $3).  I loved the fabric, which had most of my favorite colors, and already had a pattern I had been wanting to use:  McCall's 6359, View B.  Originally I intended to even out the bottom hem, but once I cut it out, I actually kind of liked it (if I change my mind, I can always re-hem it :)  The pattern was super easy to cut out and only had 3 pieces!  The trickiest part of sewing this top was all the fraying.  Also, since I did french seams to contain all the fraying, the top ended up being a bit small, but it still fits, so hooray!  Thankfully this print and fabric are very forgiving, so even though there are several little issues here and there, hopefully you can't tell ;)




Styled w/ long gray cardigan = love it!

3 comments:

  1. I hate working with silky fabrics because of how they fray, but the french seams do take care of it - even better than serging IMO. Your uneven hem really adds to the look. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this came out so cute- I hope you keep the fun hem!

    ReplyDelete