Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Floral Stripe Chiffon Top

Today I'm back with another version of the Leanne Marshall for Simplicity (1690) Top!



After the instant success and constant wearing of my first version, I decided to give it a go in a woven fabric! But not just any woven fabric, a black with tiny floral print stripes sheer chiffon! This little number has been in my stash for quite awhile! Mind you, I have never made anything with chiffon before, or anything "sheer" for that matter so I was a little apprehensive... but it worked out great!



Here was my simple process:
1- Sew the side and shoulder seams
2- Try on for fit - great!
3- Serge side and shoulder seams
4- Serge along neckline and sleeve edges
5- Fold under serged edge, press, and topstich sleeves and neckline
6- Serge lower edge - press up 1" - topstitch hem
7- Wear on a sunny day!


**EDIT** I totally forgot to mention that I changed the neckline from the pattern - my first version was great, but a little wide on the shoulders (I have pretty narrow shoulders, mind you) so for this version, I cut the shoulders narrower.  I also decided I wanted a lower scoop neck, so I used the extremely precise method of putting it on the dress form and chopping away until I liked how it looked :) It definitely fits the bill - no sliding off the shoulders at all!

Detail - Neckline
Detail - sleeve
Detail - Inside Out :)
I really love this pattern - don't be surprised if you see more of these tops from me :) Although, looking through my pattern stash, I have so many fun things I want to make!  For example, I had a moment of weakness and ordered all three new Deer&Doe patterns! Ouch my wallet - YAY my pattern stash! I cannot WAIT to get started on these amazing looks! Très bien :)

18 comments:

  1. Very nice.........It looks so very neat.....and I love those tiny flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I'm still amazed at how easily a serger neatens all those edges!

      Delete
  2. Very Pretty! Great look on you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I just got these minty jeans and they were the perfect color :)

      Delete
  3. very cute! I love the bright blue topstitching. I have lots of chiffon I've never used because I'm afraid of it. Yours came out so cute, I may have to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have no fear! give it a go! especially with this pattern, since you serge all the edges, you have minimal fraying, which is great :)

      Delete
  4. Nice! I was oogling this pattern over the weekend for the only reason that there are no set in sleeves! Maybe I will go back and get it and make me some tops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I think I like this one even better than the yellow chevron one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I definitely like the fit better - I narrowed the shoulders and made the neckline scoop more, so it doesn't fall off my shoulders as much... but the yellow is still the most cuddly! :)

      Delete
  6. Sally, this is super adorable! Yay you for venturing into chiffon territory! Also, I love the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute top, I really like the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute top and sounds like it's a quick project. I love your idea on how to scoop the neck. Had to laugh! Thanks for the review--I need to pick up this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is super cute! I have a bunch of chiffon I need to use up, so thanks for sharing this pattern. I keep buying the stuff because its so lovely, but I never know what to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a gorgeous blouse! Your neckline and hem look really tidy! I admire your tackling of chiffon. It's on the list of things I need to force myself to do, but I haven't gotten there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! Oh, to have a serger...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Blog! I've nominated you for an Liebster award.
    See your nomination on my blog.

    http://sewamusing.blogspot.ca/2013/04/liebster-award.html

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your review of this pattern! I probably would have passed it by in the catalog but I'll be checking it out now for sure. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete