Pattern: Butterick 5837
Fabric: Navy and Coral Stripe Knit - Girl Charlee


Hello readers! Today I have a new knit dress (my first one, actually) just in time for some BE-A-UTIFUL summer weather :) I got this fabric from Girl Charlee with the intent of making a cute and casual dress - when I saw this Butterick See and Sew pattern at Joanns, I knew it would be a great match.



This pattern's description is: Loose fitting pull-over dress has lined bodice with back ties and elastic casing. It calls for 1 7/8 yds of fabric - not bad for a maxi dress! I made mine knee-length, as I thought it worked better with the colorful stripe.  My favorite thing about this pattern is the cute keyhole with a bow-tie in the back.


The bodice is lined with self-fabric.  This is where I went a little of the instructed path...lol. I used some of the fabric to make a muslin of the top of the dress (since I knew I wouldn't need all two yards) since my last knit top pattern ended up much too big when I cut it out in my usual size.  The only change I made was to lengthen the bodice by about 3 inches (the empire waist style is not for me). Problem was, I didn't think I would have enough fabric left to cut out the bodice again to self-line it, so I used my muslin version (already sewed up) as the lining.



The instructions call for you to sew the top and lining together at all the side seams and then along the neckline, etc. Since I had already sewn the two tops together separately, and had even finished the sleeves, I had to wing it.  I sewed the two pieces together along the neckline by machine, pressed, and then hand stitched the lining and main bodice side, back, and shoulder seams. I would not recommend this method, as it did not lend itself to a better finish, but it was better than ripping out all my work and starting again - lol.

For the skirt, I used a new method of gathering and I don't think I will ever do it another way! Basically you zig zag stitch over a piece of elastic thread, and then pull the thread gently to your desired length. I was nervous that it would get slippery and caught in the stitching, but the small slit in the front of the presser foot guides it perfectly in the middle. Quick and easy!

***I know I read this idea on someone's blog, but now I cannot for the life of me remember whose it was! If it was you, please let me know and I will update the post to include you :)***

I totally love this dress and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a simple knit pattern with a cute detail in the back!  I wore it all day and it was so comfortable. This dress will definitely be getting a lot of wear this summer :) And check out my new shoes -

After reading Ginger's post about Loly in the Sky, I had to try out a pair (to replace my worn a hole through toms - lol).  These shoes are made with love in Mexico, and they are super cute and quite affordable. My only qualm was that they don't make my size (9.5) so I went with a 10 in the Monica, which recommended ordering a half size up, and hoped they would fit - they did! A little big, but perfect with little footie socks. Definitely check them out! Who doesn't want an adorable pair of comfy flats to wear with all the new summer dresses we'll be making :)