This jacket. This jacket has been an ongoing project since last June. That's 10 months people. That is an awfully long time to sew something. I am just SO happy to be finished! This was intended to be a wearable muslin, but the more I worked on it, the more I fell in love with it and wanted it to turn out perfect. This led to crazy things like redoing the cuffs a bajillion times until they were just right, or hand-stitching instead of machine stitching certain parts because it would look better. But I have to say, it turned out pretty fantastic, inside and out. Probably the best thing I have ever sewn, actually :)

 

The jacket is the Sewaholic Minoru, which has been in my stash for quite a while. The main fabric is a very soft gray cotton twill (I think) with poly floral print lining. I went with coral pink zippers and top-stitching thread. I may or may not have already had these perfectly matching boots and scarf in my wardrobe ;)




This jacket fits GREAT everywhere except the hips. When I started it, 10 months (and 10 pounds) ago it seemed like the finished measurements would be roomy enough for my junk in the trunk. In hindsight (teehee... hind-sight) I definitely should have graded out at the hips. I only have 4" of ease around the hips, which is okay, but when I put my hands in my pockets it is pretty snug. Oh yeah, pockets! I added the welt pockets from the Rigel bomber jacket pattern :)


Details At a Glance:

Pattern: Sewaholic Minoru Jacket

Fabric: Main - Gray Cotton Twill(?) and Lining - Floral Poly, both from Hancock Fabrics
Notions: Coral Zippers, Gray thread, Coral thread, Handmade label, interfacing

Size / Fit / Alterations:
- Cut a straight size 10
- Next time, I will add length to the jacket and grade out at the hips

Design Changes:
- Lined the hood, using a method similar to this one
- Added single welt pockets (pattern pieces from Papercut's Rigel bomber jacket)
- Omitted inside pocket
- Shortened cuffs, interfaced, and omitted elastic/gathers
- Contrast top-stitching to match zippers

Construction Notes:
Finish seam allowances in the hood/collar section well - they are not concealed in the lining
Hand-stitched main jacket / lining at collar instead of machine stitch-in-the-ditch
- Measure the zipper window in collar carefully :)   


And that's about all I can say about that. I am sure there were tons of other little interesting tidbits about the construction and what not, but it's been so long since I started that I forget most of it - haha. I am really proud of this jacket, and I am so happy it's finished!


What is the garment YOU are most proud of sewing? If you blogged it please include the link so I can check it out! :) Thanks for reading!

❤ Sally