So you may not know this, but I am an elementary music teacher.  That's right - I get paid to go and make music with kids all the day long - basically the best job ever.  Our 5th graders have just finished their big program, which may or may not have ended with them all singing "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey and rocking some epic air guitar. Hence the inspiration for the title of this post.

Some will win

The results from the Sew Grateful Week Giveaway are in, and the winner is...
Right as I was thinking "I bet it's never the min or max number..."  Irony...
Ashley from the Craft Sanctuary!!!!  Congrats Ashley, I will be e-mailing you for your address :)
(If you haven't checked out her blog, you need to RIGHT NOW - it is very cool and actually inspired one of my next projects)

Some will lose

I had high hopes for my next sewing project.  It was going to be my #sewingdare project and also part of the stashbusting challenge.  It's a great pattern, but the fabric... the blue shiny fabric...


I had purchased this fabric over a year ago - I found it in the red dot bin at Joann's and loved the print - I couldn't resist the bargain, so I bought 1.5 yards. Problem was, I had no idea what to do with it - I already had three pretty blue skirts in my closet, and it wasn't enough fabric for a dress.  So it went into the stash.

Fast forward to a month ago and I purchased some new indie patterns, including the popular Sewaholic Pendrell.  I had seen several versions of this that I liked and couldn't wait to make my own. I pulled this blue print fabric out of my stash and decided it was perfect.  I meticulously cut it out and had sewn the first few pieces together when I realized something wasn't right.

Was it the large sleeves that stuck out awkwardly? Well then I'll make smaller ones... still no good.  Sleeveless? Nope.  That's when I realized, it wasn't the pattern that was the problem. It was the fabric. While I enjoyed the print and the color, the satin just was just too shiny. And being a tall person with an extra long torso, it was a lot of shiny! I looked in my closet and guess what... a serious lack of shiny.  

In my thinking, if you don't like the fabric, why spend the time working on the project?  There are so many other creative ideas that I want to get started on. That's why you'll find this cut out, partially pieced together top in my scraps pile (GASP!)



How about it? Ever trashed a project after realizing that you did not like the fabric you picked, or do you see a project through until the end, no matter what? Any ideas on what to do with this fabric now?